Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, December 20, 2010

Unbelievable, but True: Man Booked for Same Offence in Two Different Continents by the Same Policeman!


What are the odds of receiving a ticket for the same offense, by the same officer, in two different continents? Well, as policeman Andy Flitton recently discovered, it's not as impossible as it sounds. Back in 2009, shortly before migrating to New Zealand, Constable Flitton ticketed an unnamed man for speeding in England. At the time, Mr Flitton was an officer for the Metropolitan Police in London for about 26 years.

Fast forward to 2010, and Mr. Flitton is working for the Rangiora police department in New Zealand. In late September, the 47-year-old officer stopped a speeding driver near Leithfield. Upon asking for details, the driver showed his South African and British licences and told the police officer that he had recently emigrated from England where he had lived for 12 years.

Mr. Flitton went back to his car to write up the ticket. When he returned he saw the man smiling.

"He asked if I had worked in London. I said, yes," Flitton said. "He asked if I used to operate the laser gun on the A5 in North London. I said, yes. And he said, 'I thought it was you. You gave me my last speeding ticket there two years ago'."

Mr. Flitton told reporters that at first he didn't recognize the man. " The minute he said it though, I remembered the whole thing. We both just had a laugh."

"We must have some sort of connection," Mr Flitton added. "He only ever broke the law twice and both times I was the one to give him a ticket. It cost him £60 over there and $120 over here so it wasn't cheap. It just shows what a small world it really is."

No comments:

Post a Comment